Sunday, March 20, 2011

Power of Prayer

Power of Prayer
During today’s sermon on Acts 3:1-10, “First Healing”, I was overcome with such joyous tears in remembering a time I felt “healing” by prayer.
When I went into premature labor around 24 weeks in my first pregnancy and I was in the hospital being told there was a good chance I would be going to a bigger hospital to have a VERY premature baby I broke down. I was terrified and lost. I remember my doctor coming in and asking if he could say a prayer for us at one point and I began to think back to other experiences when someone prayed for us in a hospital. It usually meant a bad outcome was expected… So as you can imagine I was hesitant to allow him. It was the last thing I should have felt at that time. But we did let him pray for us, he stood around my hospital bed and held hands with all in the room and he asked for God for healing. That He might keep me and my baby safe and let this pregnancy come to term so that we would have a healthy little boy. In that instant I felt a strange calm. I might not have looked it on the outside but I felt it in my heart. No matter what, we were going to be ok. And we were. We made it to 37 weeks and I gave birth to the most amazing gift, a healthy, beautiful baby boy we named Charles Graham. I thank HIM every day for that healing.
Now that I am in the midst of my second pregnancy and had surgery as a precaution around 13 weeks when my Doctor asked again if he could pray for me I did not hesitate, in fact I wanted to yell “PLEASE DO!!!” He again asked for healing and that God would allow this surgery to enable me to have a healthy pregnancy and a full term baby again. I am doing great and I have all the Faith in God that in 3 short months I will have yet another beautiful, healthy blessing to hold in my arms.
Dr. Nord offered what he had. Even he as a doctor could not promise me healing, but he could pray that God would grant me that. Dr. Nord’s Mission Statement is “ Ministering the love of Christ through healthcare”, I’ve seen this hanging in his office many times over the past 8-10 years I’ve been a patient there and the reality of those words finally hit me today. And wouldn’t you know that’s exactly what I needed at that moment. Thank God for a Dr. Nord who has been such a blessing to our family just by being a good Christian and offering us the power of prayer.

Brenda Rebbec

No comments:

Post a Comment