Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm # 1...

For years now, on the Roberts side of my family, I have referred to myself as #1. I don't do it to be conceited, you see, I am the first (#1) grandchild on that side. I also lived with my grandparents and developed a closer relationship with them than the typical grandchild/grandparent relationship. I consider my grandmother my best friend, #1confidant and like a mother to me. I considered my grandfather the same. Sadly, he passed away unexpectedly in 2001 and left my grandma and I to grow even closer. My grandmother was the Maid of Honor in my wedding. I had always planned on my grandpa and dad walking me down the aisle together. My son is first named for my grandpa. The two of them have changed my life in so many ways. To this day, I always turn to grandma for advice, to vent or just to go to lunch. I also quite often turn to my grandpa Charlie in Heaven for answers, wisdom and strength.

This summer has been a "doozy" of a summer as one friend put it. Bob (my mom's husband) was arrested and I have very strong opinions about it all, putting more than a small strain on my relationship with my mom. This leaving us to not start a day care together which was a HUGE relief on my part because I doubted whether I could handle it anyway. My brother has also felt neglected and had turned to us for a temporary place to live before moving to FL with my dad. More than one friend has had marital or relationship issues and turned to me for advice, help, etc. All of you know, we moved into our first home earlier this summer and there is much left to do before it is done. I guess what I am saying is there has been no shortage of STRESS!!!

Granny keeps reminding me no matter how bad it gets, don't forget all the GOOD in my life. She tells me over and over that I have been blessed with the most amazing husband, the sweetest baby boy, and the most supportive in laws I could ask for. My brothers are pretty great too. But I often wonder when she will realize she is one of God's greatest BLESSINGS to me?
Praise the LORD for me being her #1 and for her being mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment