Sunday, August 15, 2010

sickypoo :<(

Grahammy has caught something. I babysat Wednesday for a little boy who found out Saturday he has strep. Graham started running a fever yesterday. He won't let us actually let us fully take it though. He takes the thermometer and whips it across the room. and proceeds to throw a full on fit for 20+ minutes (which can't help the fever). This last time it was 102.5!!!!

We made the decision to take him to Prompt Care this morning. Our thought being, get him a strep test, and hopefully start him on some meds a day sooner than if we wait to go to his primary pediatrician tomorrow. Tiffany goes back to work tomorrow from maternity leave and I was supposed to have Dax and Lana. So much for that. Back to Prompt Care visit...

BIG MISTAKE!!!

One- they are not equipped (nor did they seemed trained) to handle kids.
Two- by the time we were seen G's fever had started to creep back up sending him into a tither again...
Three- The female doctor was RUDE, SHORT, AND INCONSIDERATE, and UNPROFESSIONAL!


They called it an Upper Respiratory INFECTION. INFECTION to me usually means antibiotics. NO I am not one of those moms who demands one when not needed and I do believe it they are over-prescribed but if you are going to say it's an INFECTION then at least tell me on what basis u found that. Because I find it really hard to believe when she didn't even examine my child. The extent of "seeing" the doctor was her coming in to help the nurse who was afraid to do the strep test alone on my child.

We came out knowing what we did going in. HE has something (UH DUH REALLY??) Give him Tylenol for fever. (one better than that...alternate with Motrin...) keep him hydrated (yea? ya think?)

And all that delivered by a nurse who we hadn't seen yet... YEA, neither person came back in to tell us that that had previously been in there. (it took all of 20 seconds and the doctor was sitting at her computer when we walked out)

I have to say, in their defense, Graham was absolutely uncooperative, inconsolable and screaming his head off. But to his defense- that has now become another symptom... AS even on his worst days I have never seen him like this and he has done it with no reason every 2.5-3 hrs at home all day...

We bought a temple thermometer on the way home as well as stocked up on Tylenol and Motrin. Our day has consisted of hand feeding him ice, tiny bites of soup, and Popsicles and pushing fluids. He has also had two cool baths. HE has hung out on mommy or daddy's lap all day. Not my typical kid...

Tonight we called our on call doctor with the pediatrician's office to ensure we were doing all we could for him... We are.. But somehow that still doesn't put me at ease. It's not easy at all to see our child obviously hurting, and sick like this.

We could use some prayers that this passes quickly and that mom and dad have somewhat of their sanity left when it's over.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I HATED sick times (and I'm not meaning cool, as sick is now used) when my babies were little.

    I just felt so helpless.

    And I was.

    God can take this burden...like all the rest of them!

    Praying for y'all...and Grammy too.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete